After
reading our lecture 8 items and watching The Curly Fry Conundrum, discuss the
term "self regulation"
Self-regulation is when someone monitors what he
or she puts online. We have all done this and continue to do this. When I was
first on the social media (myspace) I did not do this, and I can still find embarrassing
post from back than. People need to watch what they put online even if their
account is set to private or they delete it soon after. The tech companies have
rights to your data can do what they want with it. They can sell it and often
times have access to more than the user thinks.
2)
Currently, there is a huge battle between 1st amendment privacy, information
sharing, and data mining online. In your opinion, should we do away with online
privacy and self regulating? Or should the government step in and start
regulating online content?
I
work in an elementary school in the tech department so I learned about this
topic. In Californian the state passed laws to insure that children’s date is
protected. Tech is a part of learning now so school districts now must monitor
and insure that the programs that they use will not sell their students data.
This law is called California's Student Online Personal Information Protection
Act ("SOPIPA"). So if students use programs that have log in (User
name and passwords) we have to check and make sure they are up to California
law. With every program that we pilot we will have the school lawyers look over
the agreement to insure that it is up to standers. You would be amazed with how
many online platforms will sell data. Even huge tech companies like Google were
not there in till recently. This law is only in California but other states
will follow. Tech companies are so large and global that they were not
concerned about the California users.
One way we can get around this is we will hide student data by using an
alias instead of a name. Instead of Johndoe@gmal.com we will use
10563@gmail.com.
It is the government’s duty to protect minor’s data and I hope that laws
like this will spread statewide. Adults should be concerned as well, because
there data is also important.
No comments:
Post a Comment